Book by Alex M. Vikoulov, Overview*
"To be conscious that we are perceiving is to be conscious about our own existence." - Aristotle, 384-382 B.C.
“To have a glimpse of what consciousness is would be the scientific achievement before which all others would pale.”
- William James
"Regard the physical world as made of information, with energy and matter as incidentals." - John Wheeler
Everything, including energy, matter, space, time, and even consciousness, is INFORMATION, or Code if you will. Many scientists now come to consensus that information may be fundamental, since information patterns persist through dimensions and, it seems, is an evolving phenomenon.
Even in our "physical" world, we arguably exist as information patterns encoded in our genome, connectome, and our extended "virtual" self. All atoms in our bodies are gradually replaced as a result of metabolic activities within a 7-year period.
The purpose of this essay is to give you an overview of my new book "The Syntellect Hypothesis: Five Paradigms of the Mind's Evolution" where we will explore the conscious mind's journey through times with the focus on what's most important - SUBJECTIVE EXPERIENCE.
Any new evolutionary paradigm bulds on the previous paradigm, until the new paradigm gains its dominance over the prior paradigm. From Noogenesis to Apotheosis of the Universal Mind, my book describes the five distinct evolutionary paradigms:
1. Biological (Genetic) Evolution. How did the first natural brains come to existence? What subjective experience could a bat or a dog have? Why is Homo Sapiens now on top of the biological evolution?
2. Techno-Cultural (Epigenetic) Development. What has been shaping the human mind throughout the history of mankind? Can we solve the "Hard Problem of Consciousness" (David Chalmers) in the near future? What is the fabric and ultimate nature of reality?
3. The Syntellect Emergence. Are we rapidly evolving into a new hybrid species interlinked into the Global Mind? Why and how will quantum computing change everything? How to create friendly AI and ensure our survival through the coming intelligence explosion? What if our Universe is a simulation? What subjective experience will you have when neuro-interfacing with Artificial Intelligence and fusing with the Syntellect?
4. Transdimensional (Infomorphic) Propagation and Universal Expansion. What might happen after the Technological Singularity? What is Infomorph Commonality and infomorphic consciousness? How would the process of theogenesis look like?
5. Conscious (Awakened) Universal Mind and Multiversal Propagation. Could today's metaphysics become accepted facts in the future? What is the holofractality of the Omniverse? What is the ultimate destiny of our Universe?
As we will explore throughout the book, evolution of consciousness is indeed a spiritual process as well as it is a never-ending process of the rational discovery. This book carries a weight of fresh ideas, useful to AI researchers, neuroscientists and practitioners of the related fields, transhumanist thinkers, as well as general readers interested in the topic. This book is my personal quest to reconcile science and philosophy of mind.